Think about an argument or disagreement that you wish you could have handled differently. What happened, what was your goal, and what would you do differently now? Use at least one idea from Chapters 1–3 of Thank You for Arguing in your response.
Prompt Response: An argument I wish I could have handled differently was when I got mad because my mom was giving me all the chores while my brother did nothing all day. I pointed it out by blaming my mom and brother for making me do everything. My goal was to have some help with the workload or evenly distributed chores among us. As I take in what I learned from today, I would have changed the way I started the argument. Instead of blaming them I should have really set my goal in my mind and just pointed out that I was feeling overwhelmed with my chores and would appreciate some help. I would also ask them their opinion on distributing the chores to let them think about that solution.
Summary: Today in class we learned about how rhetoric works and we discussed how we could use them in different situations.
Reflection: As we learned about rhetoric and the many ways it could be used one thing that really stuck with me was the fact that knowing how to argue actually obtains your goal instead of pointlessly fighting. So the next time I need to argue I will set my goal first, concede points and bring up solutions to the problems.
Comments
Post a Comment