After reviewing and scoring other AP Language argument essays, identify two important takeaways that you can apply to your own writing. Explain what you learned about claims, evidence, commentary, the “so what?” explanation, or the AP rubric. Use specific observations from the essays you reviewed. Write one complete paragraph.

 Prompt Response: After reviewing and scoring other AP language argument essays an important takeaway was that the evidence and commentary is absolutely necessary. Another takeaway is that the "so what?" explanation is so important that it can either "make or break" my essay. I learned that the "so what" explanation is actually extremely important since that determines how the claim, commentary and evidence connect back to the claim and why it matters. Without the "so what" explanation the context would just be information without a purpose behind it. The essay's I reviewed today all had the same things in common, a claim, commentary, and evidence. But it was the "so what?" explanations that either made the essay great or mediocre. 

Summary: Today in class we reviewed many argument essays and discussed what grade we would give each essay.

Reflection: After today's discussion I realized how so much of the essay's quality was determined by the "so what?" explanation. The next time I write an argument essay I will be sure to thoroughly explain the "so what?" part to really make my essay come together.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the most creative thing you have ever made? Share what it was and explain why it stands out as your best work.

Describe one thing that makes you different from other people.

Think of a time when you tried to persuade someone to agree with you, change their mind, or do something you wanted. What were you trying to persuade them to do or believe? How did you use ethos, pathos, or logos to persuade them? Which appeal was most effective and why?